Friday, May 9, 2014

What is One Series You Can't Finish but Wish You Did?

We’ve all done it.  We’ve all started a movie/book/TV/comic series with the intention of going through from the beginning and catching up to present day.  To look back on an impressive, long running series and say, “I completed that, and it was very rewarding.”  Well, there are times you start something and then other things distract you.  Other things take prominence and there are only so many hours in the day.  But we look back on it and wish we could get back into it.  We wish we could finish what we started, no matter what that thing might be.  Well, in honor of that, here are some of my things I started and stopped along the way, but wish I could be actively finishing them right now. 

The first thing I regret most of all not finishing is the webcomic Sluggy Freelance.  With defined, engaging characters and a sprawling storyline, each arc feeding into the next, the webcomic shifts from dark to light to dark again, with humans and a homicidal talking rabbit and a hyperactive talking ferret and an alien shifting form several times, it is one of the best webcomics out there.  Goofy Torg, inventive and not quite serious Riff, and Zoe, the voice of reason fill out the human cast.  The characters get themselves mixed up with demons, government conspiracies, time travel, parodies, you name it, it’s been done on the strip.  It can be quite deep at times and other times just plain funny.  Of course, with an ongoing storyline, if you miss a day or several weeks you start of fall behind.  I can’t remember exactly when I stopped but it’s been over a year.  I want to finish so bad but then I think about how much I have to read to catch up. 

My brother and my father are huge Lord of the Rings fans.  I did not have a desire to read books of that size.  However, I thought of a solution: I could listen to the books on CD.  So I checked out The Fellowship of the Ring from the library and started on my quest.  I got about a third to a half way through when the CDs started skipping so bad I couldn’t finish it.  So I returned the disks and either listened to the music I had and didn’t go back to trying again.  Also, I started listening to the Nikki Heat books by “Richard Castle,” a de-fictionalized book series based on the TV series about a crime novelist named…Richard Castle.  I listened to the first two with much success…and the library didn’t have the third on CD.  I should probably check out the digital copy, but that’s a thing I’ve never done before so it means it’s another hoop to jump through.

Now this one really annoys me.  I have been a loyal Netflix subscriber for years.  I also use the DVD service to check out things not on the streaming service.  Anyway, I had heard about Friends, loved the bloopers on Youtube and even checked out a couple episodes that hadn’t been deleted yet by the copyright claims.  So I was looking for a series to get into in the fall of last year, and decided to finally try and watch all ten seasons of the show.  I got all the way up to season four, disk 2, when disk 3 would be forever on “Extra Long Wait,” as if there was only one disk in the entire library of Netflix.  This was one of the most popular shows of the 90s and early 2000s, and I had to wait seemingly forever for the next disk?  Finally, during my wait for that missing disk, the tenth season was no longer available on Netflix, and I was done.  I deleted the rest of the seasons from Netflix and watched ONE of the episodes I missed online.  I really want to go back and watch all the episodes I missed, but still it seems so hard!  So one day I would love to com Friends, but since it isn’t on streaming and the service for DVDs for the show is terrible, I don’t know if I’m going to be finishing it anytime soon.

Finally, I started watching the Dick Van Dyke show on streaming.  I thought it would be fun to catch a classic comedy show and watch it from beginning to end.  While the show could be very funny at times, it was the first season so the show was still finding its footing at times.  Also, I was used to the ongoing, serialized storylines that was the staple of many shows today, including comedy shows.  I watched the first thirteen episodes until I wanted to watch other things more.  When I thought about it and went back to it, I found out that the show was being pulled off streaming soon, so I gave up.  Sure, the DVDS are available, but still…


Anyway, I’m sure there are plenty of things you started but never got around to finish.  What about you?  What’s one thing you wish you could finish if you had the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment